[Pythonmac-SIG] Rocketship in the Dock

John Porter Simons coolcucumber at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 05:02:08 CEST 2008

There was a thread back in April:

On 29 Mar 2008, at 09:11, Alex MacCaw wrote:

> >* Thanks - that works.
> *>* I'm wondering how to get rid of the python rocket ship that appears
> *>* in the dock when I start sending applescript events. I've tried
> *>* deleting the object reference to app('Finder') but to no avail.
> *
>
> The command line python interpreter automatically upgrades to a full
> GUI process whenever OS APIs linked to the Window Manager are called.
> In appscript's case, it uses the Carbon Process Manager to launch
> applications and obtain their process IDs.
>
> This behaviour is useful when running scripts that need to display
> dialogs, etc. to users, but it's a nuisance the rest of the time and
> is something I'd like to get rid of if possible. I'm stuffed for spare
> time at the moment, but if anyone else fancies rewriting the relevant
> code then do let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> has
> --
> Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
> http://appscript.sourceforge.net
>
> I can run appscript from an interactive session and just ignore the
rocketship in the dock, but when I run the same script from a
Apache/mod_python, it hangs. Probably because Apache doesn't run as a normal
user so it can't get a GUI context. This is a bummer, I was able to use
rb-appscript from a web script, I wish I could use py-appscript...

Someone on this thread mentioned forking appscript to take out the GUI
stuff, any chance they would share those changes with me?