[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating Application()

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Aug 24 23:28:51 CEST 2008

On  24-Aug-2008, at 21:28 , N3buK4Dn3ZZ4r wrote:

> Hi there.
> I'm not a complete newbie in python, but in building GUIs. I've worked
> around a bit with Tkinter and I think, I can handle this one, but I
> also
> tried to work with the "FrameWork" module, to create Menubars and
> this kind
> of stuff. But I did not even get a Application() object createt. Could
> anyone please post a simple code example, that creates a Application()
> Object and a Menuitem or something like this?

Unless you have a very good reason to use FrameWork (and it appears
you don't, as you're just starting): stay away from FrameWork. It is
almost 15 years old (originally written by Guido himself), uses MacOS9
APIs that are likely to disappear some time soon and hasn't been
maintained in 7 years or so (I know, I was the last maintainer).

If you want to try something new for GUI development: look at Cocoa/
PyObjC. It is completely unlike anything else and the learning curve
can be pretty steep when you come from another GUI toolkit, but that's
mainly because you have to un-learn a lot of things. A Cocoa GUI
almost writes itself. I always have the feeling that I've somehow
cheated when I'm done: the GUI works, but I don't remember actually
writing any code:-)

Goldman