[Pythonmac-SIG] "Best" Mac Python under Leopard?

Python Nutter pythonnutter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:56:18 CEST 2008

If you go the ports route, download and install Porticus (highly
recommended) to give you graphical management of the ports packages,
to clean, download, install, activate/deactivate, handle dependencies,
show you all variations of a particular port and just checkmark all
the optional compiles you want to build.

I went for the Python.org framework over Apple's framework because it
was a simple install without worrying about ports. The only problem
you may encounter is if you start doing game programming with Pygame,
etc. While this may not be a worry because for years Pygame.org never
had any up-to-date current OS X binaries. However, they just released
the latest version for OS X and if you use the Python.org framework
you will have to install PyObjC 1.4 (on their download page) to make
it work with Leopard. Other than that I've found no headaches or
worries by going with the Python.org framework install.

Other things I added to my framework install to make life easier was
iPython, virtualenv (and virtualenvwrapper from the python magazine
article) which will also make use of the PEAK easy install setup tool.
If it was not for these last few tools working together I would
probably have gone full hog into the port route of making sure I got
the most up-to-date files. With them its more like an apt management
system in Debian/Ubuntu systems for binaries/eggs instead of ports and
the whole compilation process.

Whichever you choose, bets of luck.
Cheers,
PN