[Pythonmac-SIG] building bundles with setuptools, py2app, 64-bit python 2.6

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Aug 21 13:02:40 CEST 2008

On 20 Aug, 2008, at 5:05, Michael VanLandingham wrote:

> I recently built a Python64.framework & interpreter from the 2.6
> sources (using Ronald O's recently recommended build settings), and
> then build PyObjC.   Because I got an error running PyObjC's build
> script, (setup tries to pull down an URL that's non-existent:  http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c8-py2.6.egg)
> , I built and installed setuptools from svn.python.org with/for my 4-
> way fat python build.
>
> I need to create 64-bit compatible versions of some PyObjC bundles
> that we're using.  However, when I tried to use it, like this:
>
> $ /usr/local/python64 setup.py py2app
>
> I got the error below.  Which points to what looks like a problem in
> setuptools.  Can anyone offer any advice here?   Maybe I need a less
> cutting edge version of setuptools?
> Is anyone using 64-bit python, PyObjC to build 64-bit or 4-way fat
> apps or plugin bundles, and if so, how?

There might be issues with py2app and setuptools 0.7 (the trunk of
setuptools), the 0.6 branch of setuptools should work fine.

The main problem at the moment is PyObjC: the code supports 4-way
builds (or rather, 3-way builds, libffi is broken on PPC64), but the
repository is not as stable as it should be.  I want to do a proper
release of PyObjC, but progress is going very slowly at the moment due
to lack of time and due to the general suckiness of the work that IMO
must be done before a next release.

I'm very, very slowly adding unittests for all global functions, and
other interesting items,  in wrapped frameworks because that's the
only way to be sure that the wrappers work as advertised. I'm also
working on my own copy of the bridgesupport files that Apple ships
with Leopard, mostly because I ran into several issues with those
files and would prefer shipping my own, correct, version of the
metadata files rather than trying to work around the issues in Apple's
build.

Writing these tests takes quite a lot of time and is not
intellectually rewarding, which results in slow progress.

Ronald