[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with py2app and wx on leopard

Jim Kelly JKelly at nemetschek.net
Wed Aug 13 08:09:05 CEST 2008

I'm experiencing a bit of odd behavior with py2app and wx.  The shared
object files from wx, when inspected with otool, are looking for:

/usr/lib/libwx_macud-2.8.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.6.0, current
version 2.8.4)

That is based on wx installed in the site-packages of the system python that
ships with leopard.

Now I installed python from python.org, got wxPython source, and tried
again.  This time, in my wx directory, otool shows no such requirement.
That's what I want, so that works well.

But it turns out that py2app was still pulling from the system wx.  So I set
use_pythonpath to True, thinking it would prefer mine over the system one.
Now it is including *both*, mine goes to Frameworks in the app bundle, while
the system one goes into Resources in the app bundle.  At runtime, if I'm
running on a system without the libwx_macud-2.8.0.dylib file, it still
fails.  This is what I am seeing when I grep for _windows_ (one of the so
files from wx) from my py2app build output:

byte-compiling
/Users/jkelly/Documents/Code/Projects/Installer/Dev/demo/demovwinstaller/bui
ld/bdist.macosx-10.3-i386/python2.5-standalone/app/temp/wx/_windows_.py to
wx/_windows_.pyc
copying
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/w
x-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_windows_.so ->
/Users/jkelly/Documents/Code/Projects/Installer/Dev/demo/demovwinstaller/dis
t_osx/VWInstaller.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/wx
copying
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-package
s/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_windows_.so ->
/Users/jkelly/Documents/Code/Projects/Installer/Dev/demo/demovwinstaller/dis
t_osx/VWInstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks
stripping _windows_.so

So how do I make py2app ignore the system install version of wx completely?

Thanks!
Jim