[Pythonmac-SIG] Teething troubles - Getting up an running on a mac

Nehemiah Dacres vivacarlie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 22:48:43 CEST 2008

>> Question 3. What do I have to do in order to make SciPy work with both
>> Python 2.5.1 (that comes with the Mac) and 2.5.2 (that I installed
>> myself)?
>>
>>  You can't. They have different library paths.

hmm, I wouldn't say that You probiblly shouldln't have even bothered with
installing 5,2 im not sure what the improvements are but the system python
has a perfectly fine terminal interface. juset pick one. python packages
installed via the installer now install for system python becasue thats what
ran the "setup.py" script

> Item 3. I accidentally clicked on something (not sure what) and suddenly
> found the path to the numpy folder was Macintosh HD > Developer > SDKs >
> MacOSX10.5.sdk>System>
> Library>Frameworks>Python.framework>Versions>2.5>extras>lib>Python>numpy.
> This is insane!!! Where would the superpack have installed SciPy, and how
> can I find it?

Ask the Macsinscience developers.

have you actually checked the documentation on SciPy, try looking in
/Library/Python/site-packages or everything else listed by
python
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
that lists everything in pythonpath. also, if you want to include any other
files, just drop them in one of those directories or put symlinks(or aliases
aka shortcuts) to them in one of those folders.

>> Question 4. How do I get MacPython 2.5.2 to see SciPy, NumPy etc.
>> Question 5. How can I find the current value of the PYTHONPATH environment
>> variable, and how can I edit it and add a directory in which I keep my
>> Python programs.
>>

> Not sure. Pythonpath is more used on Unix, not on OS X.

like i said, drop them in one of the site-packagees directories or put links
to them from those directories. otherwise, in your shell's environment (did
u even google this? google : "edit mac path or environmen") or edit the
envrionmental plist or better yet, theres a free GUI tool to do that,
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCEnvironment/

>> Item 4. I opened a terminal window, and typed ipython. Here's what I got:
>>
>> Welcome to IPython. I will try to create a personal configuration
>> directory
>> where you can customize many aspects of IPython's functionality in:
>
> or perhaps you never installed iPython, Why r u using this?

> I never thought I'd say this, but it actually seemed a lot easier to get
> Python and any associated programs up and running on Windows! I suspect
> that
> a large fraction of my troubles are due to the fact that I am brand new to
> the Mac and to Unix, but I bought the Mac in part because I thought that
> using it was effortless.

 It isn't the same as Windows and other Unixes, so it's not surprising that
> you're having some difficulty adjusting to the platform-specific quirks.Once
> you work through them, things should be smooth.
>
> DIDO, you want a GUI inviornment in a unix python world, now that macs are
unix, you can have a unix python which is much less intrusive. If you keep
using IDLE instead of ipython and realize you dont have to install more
python, you'll be fine.
I realize I'm a cs major not a mathmatition or scientist so i use it
differently but I do all my programming as scripts and then execute them, i
only use it interactively when I want to test something out. Otherwise, have
u looked at R? http://www.r-project.org/

--

"lalalalala! it's not broken because I can use it"

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=194281&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=15927703