[Pythonmac-SIG] non-framework Python 2.5.2 has empty lib-dynload

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Apr 24 17:41:41 CEST 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 24 Apr, 2008, at 14:40, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>> Hi.  I'm assuming this is a python-on-mac oddity, but maybe I'm
>> wrong.
>
> There's probably something wrong with your environment, although I
> don't know what that could be, as you've already excluded the most
> likely problems in your next message.
>
> Do you by any chance have a .pydistutils.cfg file in your home
> directory?

Ah-ha!  I had a feeling it was something like that but I hadn't
connected the dots yet.  Yes, thank you very much!

For reference, these are the offending lines in my .pydistutils.cfg:

[install]
install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
install_scripts = ~/bin

install_lib is apparently honored during this installation, and
install_scripts is not.  I have these because I want to use easy
install for system Python-ish things but don't want to pollute my
system Python with whatever I experiment with or easy_install pulls
along.

If anyone knows a command-line way to temporarily disable this setting
while building a package, that would be cool!  But for now, I've just
moved it aside.

Thanks again.

Gary