[Pythonmac-SIG] Carbon bindings' future

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Apr 10 14:41:42 CEST 2008

On 10 Apr, 2008, at 11:46, has wrote:

>>> Yes, although I'd repeat my earlier suggestion that the most
>>> economically viable way to provide Carbon bindings would be to
>>> create
>>> ObjC wrappers for the Carbon APIs of interest.
>>
>> I'm far from convinced that this is true.
>
> If you use bridgesupport/bgen/whatever to generate ObjC wrappers then
> ObjC users, Python users, Ruby users, Perl users, etc, etc. all
> benefit. If you generate Python wrappers, then only Python users
> benefit

We seem to be agreeing, the bit I'm not convinced about is the "create
ObjC wrappers" bit. You don't have to write Objective-C wrappers to
use bridgesupport, bridgesupport can easily wrap pure C functions as
well.  It might be necessary to enhance the bridgesupport format a
little to deal with oddities in Carbon APIs and it would obviously be
helpfull to cooperate with other bridgesupport users for that.

My guess is that Carbon bindings are a medium-term solution anyway,
Apple seems to be moving away from Carbon (as can be seen by the lack
of 64-bit Carbon and the deprecation of QuickTime in favour of QTKit).

Ronald