[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL for OS-X

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 10 02:17:05 CEST 2008

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> On 5 Apr, 2008, at 1:40, Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Can we build a single binary installer for PIL that will work with BOTH
>> Apple's Python2.5 that comes with OS-X 10.5 and MacPython2.5, Universal
>> Framework Build for OS-X 10.3.9 and above.
>
> Not really, you'll have to provide two installers.

Darn.

> BTW. What I'd like to see is a collection of recipes for building
> packages like this. That is, a Makefile/shell-script/python-script/... that will build
> all dependencies, the package itself and an installer.

Well, there is this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/UniversalLibrariesAndExtensions

But you're right, it would be nice to get that down to a single script.
I'll get a start on that. Do you think it should download the tarballs
too (curl) ?

> That's the most annoying issue with the pythonmac.org repository: some
> packages are non-trivial to rebuild (such as PyOpenGL 2.x) and there is no
> indication whatsover of how they were build.

There was some effort to put it all in a Wiki, but not really
maintained. Also, it was suggested that folks put a README in with it. I
did that for Matplotlib a while back, but the problem is that the
packages are moving targets.

Another issue is that lots of Python packages rely on the same external
libs -- libpng comes to mind. Another way to do do it would be to supply
a standard build of those libs,a nd link all the packages against them.
These are good options for that:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:frameworks

His UnixImageIO Framework is pretty handy

> That's not very interesting for users, until it is time to build a
> binary for the next
> version and someone has to reinvent the proper build proces.

Exactly.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov