[Pythonmac-SIG] relocatable Python framework?

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 19 19:46:45 CEST 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Nehemiah Dacres wrote:

> which QT? tolltech's qt3 or qt4 (or quicktime? ... jk)

Qt 4.3.1

>  how about puting python.frameworks in  $appdir/resources/
> frameworks/python2.5.framework and building against that framework
> before you package it.

This is exactly it -- I was able to (manually) run install_name_tool
against the Qt frameworks that I'd built so that I could put them
inside my application bundle. I used @loader_path in order to make
the Qt frameworks relocatable.

But I have found no documentation for doing the same thing with the
Python.framework -- and it seems that such would not be sufficient,
in any case.

I have set the PYTHONEXECUTABLE environment variable but that does
not work. I found out about this environment variable by reading the
Python source code.

Someone else must have included Python inside an application bundle.
I think that OpenOffice does this...

- boyd