[Pythonmac-SIG] Python/appscript ready for primetime?

Karl Sweitzer kesc at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 4 20:29:34 CEST 2007

Is Python's appscript suitable and sufficiently mature for deployment
in a commercial application?

With the demise of VBA in Microsoft Office, we are faced with
transitioning scripts that manipulate equations in Office and manage
the interoperation of our application with Office. AppleScript is an
obvious candidate, but coyote ugly in the eyes of many developers,
including us. We are looking for viable alternatives.

Python, augmented by appscript to access the Word Object Model, is
the best candidate we've identified thus far. However, we have
negligible experience with Python and zero experience with appscript.
Further, we note that appscript has not reached version 1.0.

Has anybody out there used Python and appscript for a commercial
product? Does it deserve active consideration? Are there other
candidates we should be considering?

If you have an opinion--or better yet, experience in this area--we'd
like to hear from you.

Thanks.
--
Karl Sweitzer