[Pythonmac-SIG] [IPython-dev] readline support for OS X Leopard

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 31 01:25:47 CET 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> I meant that trying that with a readline module
> compiled against GNU readline interferes with typing "b". So,
> unfortunately, you
> can't just issue both commands hoping that the library will just
> ignore the
> wrong one.

I'm not sure I understand yet.

I believe I have worked out the conditional logic to determine when
we're linked against the libedit library versus GNU readline.

But from inside the python on Leopard - that uses libedit for its
readline module - I can get tab-completion to WORK when I'm running
python by using the EditLine syntax that Edward Moy suggested.

BUT from inside *ipython* I get a segmentation fault.

I was all set to add the code to the IPython ipylib.py  but I need to
determine the cause of the segfault first.

I'm using IPython from subversion trunk with  {2007-10-28} as the SVN
tag.

Thanks!

  - boyd