[Pythonmac-SIG] Python control/integration of a Cocoa/Quicktime application?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Oct 27 23:27:09 CEST 2007

On  27-Oct-2007, at 02:55 , Darran Edmundson wrote:
> I've recommended that Douglas join this mailing list and ask
> questions.
>   My only concern is that most people coming to this list are probably
> python users (like myself) who want to write Mac apps.  Douglas is
> coming from the opposite tack - he's a hardcore Cocoa developer who
> doesn't know python at all.  With this in mind, do you have any
> pointers
> in designing a library that is easily called from python?

There are some things you can do in ObjC that are difficult to expose
to Python, but as they're so unusual I've never come across them I've
also conveniently forgotten what they are:-)

Oh yes, I think if you pass a C structure you have to do some
massaging (excpe tif PyObjC already knows about that structure, such
as for NSPoint and such, then the work has already been done for you).

> I wondered, for example, if he wrote the Objective C library and a
> separate Objective C test application to exercise the code, if the
> test
> app could then simply be ported to pyObjC?  This way Douglas wouldn't
> need to worry about python at all ...

If you do this very early during development, i.e. when the library
API has only a couple of calls you have the ObjC programmer write a
minimal test script which you then port to Python, you could give
this back to the ObjC developer. There's a very good chance this'll
teach them enough Python to continue the testing directly in Python.
Goldman