[Pythonmac-SIG] pywps on mac osx

massimo di stefano massimodisasha at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 3 03:14:49 CEST 2007

HI

Il giorno 03/ott/07, alle ore 00:36, Thomas Juntunen ha scritto:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:35:52 +0200, massimo di stefano wrote:
>
>> grass, qgis, R, ossim, ossimplanet, mapserver + kamap
>> all works fine :-)
>
> Wow, you're way ahead of me. :-)

i've used grass ossim and R for my study
but i'm really newbie to the web section.
i've installed mapserver 5 from william's binary package
and setup kamap for the first time a week ago
...so  i've a lot of things to learn about web  and web-gis deveopping

>> i'll try to explain why a wps :
>>
>> i need pywps beacouse my targhet is to have a web-processing
>> server (not a
>> simple web gis)
>>
>> i.e.  use the function of grass and R (installed on a server)
>> through the
>> web, by a web-gis interface
>> called from a kml file  loaded into ossimplanet.
>>
>> something like "embrio" or "openlayer + pywps" :  http://
>> pywps.ominiverdi.org/
>>
>> i need this solution to try the integration of ossimplanet too
>>
>> ossimplanet is able to load kml file and wms map
>
> OK, but I think this is just another way to do the same things.
> MapServer +
> Apache also can handle WPS/WMS, has Java/PHP/Python and even
> JavaScript
> interfaces for both client and server side processing. As far as
> graphics,
> MapServer uses GDAL to handle them, so should handle anything the
> Ominiverdi
> platform can. Plus, the brand new version 5.0 has something new
> called AGG that
> has the MapServer mailing list all excited.
>
> Possibly KML is a problem, but lots of people seem able to use
> Google's KML
> with MapServer so there is probably a way.

i've a scarse knowdledge about the web tools that we can use
i do not know what tools can i prefer to do this.
i've decided to use pywps, only beacouse whit it  i can use a grass
sintax
to performs processes and use a lot of grass commands  that is
familiar to me.

can other tools cominicate with grass as well we can do using pywps ?

>> i done a script to produce kml , elevation-data and  wms map  from
>> grass data,
>>
>> using pywps  i can integrate this  script in ossimplanet using the
>> "kml" as
>> connection point
>
> I guess since you've got several pieces already running, it makes
> sense to use
> them. From reading the MapServer mailing list, it's clear to me
> that there is a
> lot involved with serving WMS that's scalable and reasonably fast.
> I wouldn't
> want to drag the extra complexity/overhead of a web services
> framework in
> unless it provided something I couldn't get any other way.

to produce wms map i'll use mapserv as it is, so no pywps for this,
what probably i need is to set-up a link into the kml that point to a
form
where one can select what grass layer want convert to wms feature
use wps to export the layer (or produce it if no exist ... like ndvi
etc..)
then use a script to produce a mapserv wms map to
  (at the moment i ignore how manage this part, never tried it)

and use pywps  to run specific grass script to produce some output
loadable with ossimplanet and put this output in a ftp connection
to download and load it.

> Regardless, I hope you can get pywps going. I wish I knew more
> about Python and
> could offer some useful advice.

i've send a mail where i tried to describe how i'm tring to install
pywps

>> apologize me for my englesh and   for the bad explanation of what
>> i want try
>> to do :-/
>
> I think I understood what you were saying. I don't speak any
> Italian at all, so
> again, you are way ahead of me! ;-)

chat and ml are my englesh teachers .... i hope that you never listen
my englesh :-)

thanks fro your help!

Massimo Di stefano