[Pythonmac-SIG] Leopard python architectures in setup.py

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 2 22:02:28 CET 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Martina Oefelein wrote:

> I think this actually makes sense: if the command line tools were
> 32/64 bit universal, scripts would run with the 64 bit version on 64
> bit systems, and wouldn't be able to use any of the libraries that
> are only 32 bit.
>
> The framework, on the other hand, should be 32/64 bit universal so
> that both 32 and 64 bit applications can embed python.

This gets a bit tricky with Python GUIs.  I haven't checked, but I
suppose that PyObjC is still 32-bit only.

I know that Tk and Qt are 32-bit only at the moment.

That is, the Tk that ships from Apple with Leopard is 32-bit.  Qt has
to be 32-bit for the next year or two since Apple dropped 64-bit
Carbon (they need to port the Mac GUI to Cocoa, and that will Take
Some Work).