[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble installing Python Imaging Library on Mac OS X

Ritesh Nadhani riteshn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:24:38 CEST 2007

Now this gets interesting, Believing that selftest.py is doing
something wrong, I did:

>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open("Images/lena.jpg")
>>> print im.format, im.mode, im.size
JPEG RGB (128, 128)

but selftest.py fails with:

Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
from line #24 of selftest.testimage
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
    exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "./selftest.py", line 22, in _info
    im.load()
  File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "PIL/Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
   1 of  57 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 57 failed.

So now I am not sure. Basically I want PIL for this app:
http://code.google.com/p/django-captcha/source

I will have to run that app and see if it installed OK or not.

Hmmm....

--
Ritesh
http://www.riteshn.com