[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.5 and easy_install

Hamish Allan hamish at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 07:57:38 CET 2007

Oops. Sorry to reply to my own post, but I have discovered that other
packages (e.g. pylons and all its dependencies) are installed fine by
easy_install. I should probably have paid more attention to the rest
of the error message:

"The package setup script has attempted to modify files on your system
that are not within the EasyInstall build area, and has been aborted.

This package cannot be safely installed by EasyInstall, and may not
support alternate installation locations even if you run its setup
script by hand.  Please inform the package's author and the EasyInstall
maintainers to find out if a fix or workaround is available."

I guess I must have installed pyx by hand (using "python setup.py
install") previously, as this works fine.

Sorry to have bothered you!

If anyone can explain why easy_install failed I would still be very
interested to know.

Best wishes,
Hamish