[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Dec 21 15:42:02 CET 2007

On Friday, December 21, 2007, at 09:48AM, "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

>On 20 dec 2007, at 12:35, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>

>> That's easily fixable. I'm thinking about reviving Jack's MacPython
>> addons idea: a small .mpkg that will install IDLE.app, a 64-bit
>> command-line interpreter and some small fixes (such as the distutiles
>> one).  That should make Leopard's builtin python a lot more useable
>> without requireing people to basicly install the same version of
>> python that is already on their system.
>

>I think this would be a very good idea, even if only from a
>"political" point of view.
>Even though I've been an open source developer since long before the
>word existed I find that I'm getting sick and tired of the reinvent-
>the-world attitude that is far too common in the open source community.
>
>If I am new to Python on the Mac and I've played with Apple Python a
>little, but as soon as I want to install one little add-on module I
>have to first replace the whole existing Python with something new
>(and not directly Apple-endorsed) I might just drop out. And at the
>very least it's mightily inconvenient. Also note that the chances that
>the distutils fix or the 64-bit fix are likely to affect me are
>exactly zero (the "newcomer me" from this paragraph, not the "flesh
>and blood Jack" me:-).

Hear, hear...  It's not the replacing of python per-se that annoys me, it is
replacing it by *exactly the same version* that is annoying.

Contrary to what some people seem to think Apple does learn and is trying
to make Python as good as possible. They make mistakes, but hey they are
humans.

A small package that fixes some small annoyances would make everyones
lives easier.  It would also result in a system python that is arguably better
than the standard python.org tree: 64-bit support and dtrace support built-in.

Neither are currently available in the python.org tree, even when you built from
source.

Ronald