[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 19 23:21:13 CET 2007

Nehemiah Dacres wrote:
> so we're still not supporting Apple's shipped python?

Well, Apple does what Apples does. Every single version of python that
they have shipped as had at least one bug (or misfeature), and they have
never provided an update within an OS-X version. (For example, if
nothing else, the Apple python with Leopard doesn't build Universal
Binaries when you use setup.py)

Given all that, it's easier to just stick with an external Python that
we, as a community, can have some control over. It's also one version
that will run (and build extensions that run) on PPC and Intel, OS-X
versions 10.3.9 - 10.5.*

A whole lot easier to support.

And I don't think macports is supporting Apple's Python either.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov