[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plugins with py2app

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Oct 12 23:15:12 CEST 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 11:06 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:

> On 12-Oct-06, at 1:44 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Also if you think that you'll need to hack on py2app at all you'd be
>> better off checking out the source and then "python setup.py
>> develop".
>> That way the egg is your checkout so it's trivial to update and hack
>> on.
>
> Good advice.  I'm still quite new to setuptools, learning as I go.
> I had gotten used to PyObjC and py2app Just Working and certainly
> never thought I'd be hacking on py2app, but so it goes.
>
> Bob, sorry to hear you're not working on py2app or PyObjC these
> days.  While I appreciate your work on MochiKit (it's my favorite
> JS library), we miss you over in OS X land.
>
> Ronald, thanks for taking a look at this.  Is there any further
> info I can give that would be helpful?

What are you using to test? I've tested with the SillyBalls
screensaver in PyObjC's examples directory (Examples/Plugins/
SillyBallsSaver).

I'm also using the SVN HEAD for altgraph, modulegraph and the other
related projects, I don't know if that helps.

If upgrading doesn't help, or the SillyBallsSaver example doesn't
work for you, I'd like to know loads of version information (Python,
PyObjC, py2app, altgraph, modulegraph, macholib) and the exact error
message you get in Console.app (close SystemPreferences, open
Console.app, use the Clear button, then open a freshly build version
of your saver or the SillyBals saver).

Also make sure you stop SystemPreferences when you want to test a new
build of a screensaver, otherwise SystemPreferences doesn't always
pick up the new version (or rather almost never).

Ronald