[Pythonmac-SIG] Lost among multiple Python version on my mac

David Worrall vip at avatar.com.au
Mon Nov 20 11:54:24 CET 2006

Hi Scott, I regularly use 3 different versions of python. here's how.
for command-line work:

/usr/bin/python  is the OS version
/usr/local/bin/python is my next choice

I have both of these in the shell's $PYTHONPATH variable

for (non-command-line) MacPythons, ie through IDLE etc,  notice that
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current is a
symbolic link to a specific framework version of python
you can put other versions in the /System/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/ directory
and then change the symbolic link (ln -s) of Current to whatever
version you want.
And/or add to (or make) the .MacOSX/environment.plist file in your
home directory:
to contain this:

CTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
      <key>PYTHONPATH</key>
      <string>/usr/bin/python</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and that will be picked up by the IDE you load.
... Change/add to  at will.....

At least that's  how I do it. There's probably someone on this list
who'll have a more sophisticated way, but quick&dirty gets the job
done! :-)

hope this helps,

David