[Pythonmac-SIG] WhereAmI ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed May 24 22:49:28 CEST 2006

Jerry LeVan wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am porting one of my Tcl/Tk apps to Python and am having
>a bit of a problem with one detail.
>
>The structure of the app is that the main program
>sits in a folder and local resources live in a
>subFolder named Resources.
>
>I can easily pick up modules living in Resources, but
>I can't see how to find pure "data" files living  in the
>the Resources folder.
>
>In Tcl I can find the path to a script with the info command.
>
>I tried looking at "sys.path" but the "current directory" seems
>to be specified by '' ( instead of the the full path name).
>
>Is there anyway I can discover the pathname of an running
>python script?

You can do something like

def pathToExecutable():
    dir, file = os.path.split(sys.executable)
    if file == "my application name":
        return dir
    dir, file = os.path.split(sys.argv[0])
    return dir

If you want a more general version to handle any application name, then
you need to deal with determining whether the app is being run from a
script or has been frozen (with py2exe or py2app or freeze or ...)