[Pythonmac-SIG] customize distutils universal extension build?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu May 18 09:14:01 CEST 2006

On 18-mei-2006, at 5:29, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Is there some way to customize or override the build flags for
> building a Python extension (a C library wrapper)?
>
> My main problem is that it adds the -g debug flag, ballooning the
> size of the module.  I want to build WITHOUT the -g flag.

It is possible to add additonal flags, but that won't help you
because you want to remove an existing flag and that is not possible.
GCC also doesn't have a flag that negates the -g flag.

If you want to remove the debugging information you can use the strip
command to remove this from the compiled extension.

But, why do care about the size of the compiled extension?  Disk
space is cheap these days ;-). Furthermore, if you redistribute the
extension as part of an applicationt that is build using py2app the
extension will be stripped when it is stuffed inside the application
bundle.

Ronald