[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of PyObjC port to Intel OS X

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Wed May 17 05:49:09 CEST 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 17:43, Marcin Komorowski wrote:

> What do you than use for your Python/ObjC development on a Mac?

Honestly, I use BBEdit as the overall text editor and I test complex
Python non-GUI modules as 'stand-alone'  modules using Komodo
Professional (great debugger) or if they are C (rarely so far since
performance is not key right now), then BBEdit/Make. I code Java as
well using Ant/BBEdit. Eclipse is supposed to be great but its too
much work to learn. The fable about the woodsman not stopping to
sharpen his saw because he was too busy slowly cutting tress with a
dull blade probably makes since and I should probably 'sharpen my
saw' and learn Eclipse for Java. But I'll cling to my stone knives
and bear skins a while longer if I can. So many trees  and so little
time ;-)

Komodo is a commercial product I know but I bought Photoshop and I
figured I get more use out of Komodo so I might as well buy it. No
regrets.
What Larry Wall says about his creation PERL: "there's more than one
way to do it." applies here (and that's about all the PERL I'll speak
in this forum lest I be banished forever;-). Seriously, there is no
'right' way. For me, IDEs like Eclipse seem to get in my way and have
to be 'bent' to work with Python in particular. While I am sure one
can craft a very productive environment from those tools, I just keep
it simple. I use BBEdit for XHTML/CSS also. It is familiar and I just
like it. No Dreamweaver just an advanced text editor. That's why some
use Emacs--its familiar, powerful enough,  and they just like it.
Just find what is most efficient for you. There is no 'right' answer
as far as most choices in tools. Vive la difference.