[Pythonmac-SIG] Application without py2app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 15 19:20:04 CEST 2006

On 15-mei-2006, at 19:09, Thorsten Kohnhorst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to create an Cocoa application
> without using py2app.

Sure, you can build the .app bundle by hand. Apple's website documents
the structure of bundles.

> I want to start the application from the main python script instead
> (the one that starts the
> event loop). So far I managed to load the nib from a path by calling
>
> 	NibClassBuilder._nibInfo._extractClassesFromNibFromPath(nibFilePath)
>
> instead of
>
> 	NibClassBuilder.extractClasses(nibFile)

That's wrong, methods starting with underscores should be considered
private. Furthermore this has nothing to do with py2app.

> But the application exits with the following message:
>
> 	Python[310] No Info.plist file in application bundle or no
> NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting
>
> This is probably because the Pythons bundle is used.
> Does anybody know how to tell the application to use another bundle?

Which brings us to the main point: I have no idea what you are trying
to accomplish.

If I had to guess I'd guess that you want to create a python GUI
without using an .app bundle. That is possible, but not recommended
(hence the lack of details about how to do this ;-))

Ronald