[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app corrupting libraries

Frank Niessink frank at niessink.com
Fri May 12 22:08:21 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito:
> On May 10, 2006, at 5:14 PM, Kent Quirk wrote:

>> We’ve been shipping it for almost a year on PPC Macs using py2app
>> to package things – so we know we have the py2app stuff
>> approximately correct. We’ve been trying off and on to get a fat
>> version of the app working. All the C++ code compiles and links
>> cleanly on both architectures. We’ve installed fat Python 2.4.3
>> (the April 7 version).
>>
>> When we run the current (0.2-maint) branch of py2app on our Intel
>> Mac, somewhere along the way, it tells us that it’s “Thinning” our
>> “Events” library to the i386 part only…then, later on, it tries to
>> thin the same library to both the ppc and i386 versions…but doesn’t
>> find the ppc version anymore and crashes.

You are probably aware of this, and even if not I'm not sure whether it
helps, but here it goes anyway: did you add an "archs='ppc,i386'" to the
py2app options? Before I did that too much stuff got thinned away for me
too.

Example options from setup.py:

if sys.argv[1] == 'py2app':
     import py2app
     setupOptions.update(dict(app=['taskcoach.py'],
         options=dict(py2app=dict(archs='ppc,i386', argv_emulation=True,
             compressed=True, dist_dir=builddir, optimize=2,
             iconfile='icons.in/taskcoach.icns',
             packages=['i18n']))))

Hope that is of use, Frank