[Pythonmac-SIG] [ann] Appscript Installer 1.3 released

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 27 19:57:35 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> wxPython definitely works, I've tested it. That is, if you are on
> a PPC box. The existing wxPython binary installer installs a PPC binary,
> that won't work with a universal build on intel.

That's good to know,but we really do need to get a Universal build of
wxPython (and lots of other stuff!) built. It looks like it will beg a
bit of a project, and it doesn't look like any of the people who really
know what they are doing (Kevin O, Robin, ??? )have the time and/or
tools for it now.

I'm going to give a try this week myself. Prepare yourselves for questions!

I'm also going to take this to mean that, in general, all the packages
built for the 2.4.1 Framework build should work with the Universal build
On PPC.

Users of the Intel machines are probably still better off using the
2.4.1 PPC build and related packages, and it will all run under Rosetta.

> Feel free to provide universal packages, and tell us about software that
> doesn't work with universal python.

I'll be working on that this week. I don't have an Intel box to test on
at the moment, but should be getting one soon.

> Even a wishlist for packages would be useful.

wxPython
numpy
Numeric
numarray
matplotlib
PIL

I can work on all of those.

Then:
PyGTK : Is there a version that can work entirely fink (or darwinports)
free?
PyQT: that's going to be fun!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov