[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app is building semi-standalone package only.

Read Roberts rroberts at adobe.com
Wed Mar 22 19:53:07 CET 2006

On 3/22/06 9:29 AM, "Christopher Barker" <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Read,
>
> Thanks for posting a summary, it's nice to have this in the archives.
>
> A few notes:
>
> Read Roberts wrote:
>> To get a separate installation of Python 2.3.x under Mac OSX 10.3,
>
> Why not just use 2.4.1 ? Is there a reason you need a 2.3 version?
Yes, because my package includes some Python extension modules written in C
that are also used by a font-editing program, FontLab, that has Python 2.3
embedded. I could build my bundle app with Python 2.4, but then I'd need to
maintain a separate build of the extension modules linked with Python 2.3
for this other program. I build under Mac OSX 10.3 for a similar reason,
easier to build programs that will run under Mac OSX 10.3 as well as 10.4.

>> 1) location of command-line 'python'
<snip>
>> I added a symbolic "python2.3.5"  in the directory "/usr/bin,
>> pointing to the python program under 'Library/Frameworks/Python.framework",
>> so I can invoke this python with the command "python2.3.5".
>
> Here's where you've deviated from the standard: As a rule, you shouldn't
> out ANYTHING in /usr/bin. that's Apple's job. As you haven't written
> over anything, it's probably not going to cause any problems, but the
> usual solution is to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH instead, but adding
> a line something like this to your
>
> /Users/YourName/.profile  file:
>

> export PATH="usr/local/bin/:$PATH"
>

> That will tell your shell (if it's the default bash shell) to look in
> /usr/local/bin for executables before the other places it looks.

Noted. This is certainly a best practice.