[Pythonmac-SIG] Recurring question - which python should I use?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Mar 14 17:50:39 CET 2006

I'm still not *quite* clear on the interactions here.

1. wxPython still isn't Universal, though there are rumblings in the
distance. Until that happens, is it possible to use the emerging
Universal build of Python with the PPC build of wxPython? I guess I
mean, possible to make command-line Python scripts that call (PPC)
wx, on an Intel machine? In general, I guess: does Python care how
its libraries are built, as long as they're built to run *somehow* on
the platform that Python is running on? (Is that even the right
question??)

2. Until Universal py2app (thanks Bob!) is ready, it's not possible
to build Mac standalone apps with Universal Python -- is that correct?

3. (the combination) When Universal py2app is ready -- long before
Universal wxPython, I'll bet -- will it be possible to build
standalone apps for Mac (PPC and Intel) using (PPC) wxPython?

Sorry to be so foggy-headed about the innards of this. It isn't
urgent, since *everything* seems to work fine in the PPC versions on
an Intel Mac.

Charles