[Pythonmac-SIG] indentation problem

Stewart Midwinter stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 19:17:42 CET 2006

> From: altern <altern2 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] indentation problem
> hi all
>
> i have been developing some tutorials with PyOxide and now i find that
> when i open them on Smultron the indentation is wrong.

I use Smultron as well.  What do you mean, "the indentation is wrong"?
 Too much indentation, not enough?

> It tried to fix the indentation in one but there is something wrong
> under the hood because then it complains at end of lines, it says the
> syntax is wrong,

What complains, Smultron?  What's the exact error message?

> I was wondering if there is some way to automatically fix this or if i
> have to go file by file fixing the indentation and line breaks.

The most common source of problems with indentation is mixed use of
tabs and space.  You should do one or other, preferably spaces.

In Preferences > Advanced, check "Indent with spaces not tabs"
In View, select Show Invisible Characters.

This should help you track down the problem

If you do have to change the indentation of a file, you don't need to
edit lines individually. Select all lines in a block, then use
Option-L to indent by 4 chars, or Option-K to outdent one char at a
time.

> The funny thing is that when i open them in Kate under debian they look ok.

Kate is not a programming editor, so that proves nothing.

cheers
Stewart