[Pythonmac-SIG] Download page on www.python.org now updated

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Thu Mar 2 19:57:53 CET 2006

Hi Donovan,

On Mar 2, 2006, at 10:08 AM, Donovan Preston wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2006, at 9:55 AM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>
>> Ron Oussoren writes:
>>> The 16 ton icon stays until someone brings a better alternative.
>
> Stop with the 16 ton weight/snakes/apples debate. Just use the new,
> official, python logo, which is a stylized icon that isn't going to
> offend anybody, is vector so will look good at any size, and looks
> very, very professional. I don't see any reason to indicate macness/
> appleness in the logo. It's python. You are using it on a Mac.
> Everyone already knows Apple makes macs.
>
> http://beta.python.org/images/python-logo.gif

I'm actually in talks with a designer about creating an icon, and so
far things are going well. I hope in a week or so to have something
to show.

As for the beta Python icon, it really doesn't symbolize Python at
all to me; Graphically, it's not horrible or anything, but what comes
to mind when I look at that are "rigid/stiff", and "computation".
Those snakes don't look very comfortable to me. ;-) It's worlds apart
from, say, the Firefox icon. Fit that icon against the background of
a nearly colorless page, the whole page says bland, boring, for the
suits. It's one thing to be professional, another entirely to have a
site that is not memorable nor makes a strong impression of any sort.
(The best part of the page is the "Using Python for" and you have to
scroll down to see that.) Well, I could go on, but anyway, neither
the corporate-style logo, or the snake squeezing the Apple, seem to
me to fit with Apple's HIG nor I think do they convey what Python is
about. (And I have serious doubts that Apple, if they noticed the
snake/apple icon, would allow it to get into the official distro
anyway.)

Anyway, of course the issue is whether we can come up with some thing
better for the icon. I'll let people know when I have something
concrete to show.

Thanks,

Kevin