[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal binary build of py2app application won't run on 10.3.9

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 30 22:50:36 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> It's a bad idea, and redistributing components of OS X isn't legal
> anyway.

OK, I understand the legal issues -- darn it!

However. This is a problem, and there appears to be no solution, other than:

1) Don't support 10.3.9

or

2) Wait for Ronald, out of the goodness of his heart, in his free time,
to hack the Python build and put out a new version.

I'm guessing that this may not be the ONLY lib that has this problem --
it's just the the one that's been discovered. Also, it seems possible
that a user might have a similar problem with a lib that isn't Apple's.

While I understand that the legal issues are such that we shouldn't
include that lib be default, having a hook so that the user could
specify libs they wanted included by hand would be helpful. In this
case, it wouldn't be a big deal to build your own copy of the bz2 lib
and include that.

Could you just copy such a lib into your bundle after the fact? If so --
where?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov