[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app question: path to included python

Russell E Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 6 18:13:46 CEST 2006

At 5:06 PM -0700 2006-06-05, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>On Jun 5, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>
>>When using py2app to create an application, is there a simple way to get
>>the path to the copy of python that is/will be bundled into the
>>application?
>>
>>(I need this to copy in some matploblit data files)
>>So far I'm generating it manually using some assumptions. it works but
>>if there's a safer/easier way, I'd rather use that.
>
>I don't know how matplotlib is structured, but you might want to
>look at writing a recipe for it. The pygame and PyOpenGL examples
>show how to include a few data files or an entire package as-is.

That is a great idea. I'll take a look at creating such a recipe.

Meanwhile...is there a simple way to get the path to the python
framework that is within the bundled application?

Also, one comment that may or may not be be relevant (since I've not
looked at the recipes yet): the right place for the matplotlib data
files is deep in the included python framework but...

I found (the hard way) that specifying data files that belong in the
tcl/tk framework (tcl extension libraries) fails miserably because
those files are copied *before* the tcl/tk framework, and in the
process a directory structure is created that blocks proper copying
of tcl/tk. (The root of the problem is my use of the link "Resources"
as a shortcut for the full path -- by copying files before that link
is created, it is created as a folder instead of a link).

I can probably dodge the problem by not using links in the path.
Indeed, py2app doesn't seem to copy those handy shortcut links for
the python framework.

-- Russell