[Pythonmac-SIG] secure delete file?

st cnx stconnexion at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 18:29:00 CEST 2006

The finder allows one to "secure empty trash".
I want to add a feature to shred parts of the archive my program makes.

Is there some OSX API to do this?

Alternatively I can roll my own, but I'm wondering if overwriting a
file, followed by F_FULLFSYNC is really enough because stuff might be
left in spotlight. Anyone know? Amit Singh's book says spotlight can
miss events, so deleting could be missed. Is there a way to tell
spotlight to delete a file without removing the whole index for the
volume?

Thanks,

Sengan