[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript equivalent of launch?

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Jul 20 15:55:22 CEST 2006

Robert Stephenson wrote:

> As far as I can see, appscript lacks an equivalent of Applescript's
> launch verb, which opens an app without running it (useful for apps
> like Textedit or Keynote that create default documents when they
> run).  Did I miss something, or how can you open a file without the
> default run action?

Appscript does implement a built-in launch command:

app('textedit').launch()

However, it doesn't work at all right, so don't bother trying it. The
only way I can currently think of doing it is to use AS:

import osax
osax.runscript('launch app "TextEdit"')

If anyone knows how to launch apps without them being sent the
customary run event then please let me know.

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/