[Pythonmac-SIG] [Numpy-discussion] Packaging numpy with py2app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jul 18 06:01:34 CEST 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Josh Marshall wrote:

> Hi Chris, Bob,
>
> It really wasn't that difficult in the end to write the recipes.
> I've attached them below. Note that these are tested against
> py2app-0.3.1 (with my site-packages monkey patch) since I can't
> seem to reach the svn repository at the moment.

Should be back up. DreamHost has been having problems. I'll see about
getting these in tonight.

> However, I'm not happy with including all 10 MB of pytz for
> matplotlib, when the only missed file (since it is referenced by
> keyword in matplotlib/dates.py) is 4 kB. The other alternative (if
> leaving it out of the recipe) is to have "includes =
> ['pytz.zoneinfo.UTC']" in py2app_options in setup.py, which kind of
> defeats the purpose of having a recipe. pytz is already included in
> site-packages.zip, but since the UTC file is referenced by keyword,
> it's not included.
> So Bob, how can I specify 'include's in a recipe, or alternatively;
> only refer to part of a package in the recipe?

To do "includes", you need to manipulate the modulegraph instance.
Take a look at the docutils recipe for an example. 'packages' is in
the return value because that need to be dealt with by py2app, not
modulegraph.

> Eventually it would be nice to figure out how to get these into
> site-packages.zip, as uncompressed numpy is 5 MB, matplotlib is 10
> and scipy is 15. But that's more an issue for the numpy discussion
> group, to do when I have more time.

Applications are usually distributed compressed, the on-disk size
isn't too much of a concern for most people...

> I've also attached my little matplotlib Cocoa-embedding test
> application, reduced to bare essentials. Hope it's useful for
> people testing.
>
> Oh, and any reason why I can't send mail to pythonmac-
> sig at python.org? I'm always getting a PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error
> (state 12): 554 permanent error.

You probably have to be subscribed?