[Pythonmac-SIG] Errors in Numpy running matplotlib

jamesk jkebinger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 14:28:05 CEST 2006

I'm get a bus error running matplotlib - the error occurs just from importing
pylab . I'm running 10.4.7 on an Intel mac. All of the python libraries I'm
using came from the macpython site.

Following the suggestions from an earlier post, I ran gdb to get a backtrace
as follows: gdb --args /usr/local/bin/python -c "import pylab"

Here's the trace:

Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x014a9bc4
0x0104759a in PyArray_AxisConverter (obj=0xe458, axis=0x14a9bc4) at
numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c:117
117     numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c: No such file or directory.
        in numpy/core/src/multiarraymodule.c

If I switch to Numeric, the problem goes away, so It looks like its a bad
build/install of numpy.

-James