[Pythonmac-SIG] Building python 2.4.3 on OSX 10.3.9

Michael Glassford glassfordm at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 16:51:11 CEST 2006

Here's what I think happened:

Before I realized XCode wasn't installed, I installed QuickTime7SDK, and
CoreAudioSDK (both to solve specific errors). Then I installed XCode
1.5, which appeared to replace the QuickTime.framework version 7 with
version 6, but didn't touch QTKit.framework (because it didn't know
about it, presumably). The mixture of Quicktime 6 and 7 headers
apparently was causing the errors; reinstalling QuickTime7SDK appears to
have fixed that problem, as I was able to build PyObjC with warnings but
no errors.

As an FYI:

The original reason for trying to build my own Python 2.4 on Mac OSX
10.3.9 was that the one installed by the universal binary Python 2.4
installer has the problem that when I "import bz2" I get the error

"""
ImportError: Failure linking new module: /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib:
dyld:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
can't open library: /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib  (No such file or
directory, errno = 2)
"""

It appears that it did in fact fix this problem.

Now I have the two more problems:

1) The PyObjC unit test give me the following two failures (which I
haven't had time to investigate much, yet):

FAIL: testSignatureCount (objc.test.test_splitsig.SplitSignatureTest)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"build/lib.darwin-7.9.0-Power_Macintosh-2.4/objc/test/test_splitsig.py",
line 95, in testSignatureCount
     '%s [%d:%d] %r %r'%(sel.selector, argcount, coloncount, elems, cls))
AssertionError: didChangeValueForKey: [2:1] ('v', '@', ':', '@', '@')
<objective-c class _PyObjCCopying_NSObject at 0x2963280>

FAIL: testOverrideDealloc (objc.test.test_subclass.TestOverridingSpecials)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"build/lib.darwin-7.9.0-Power_Macintosh-2.4/objc/test/test_subclass.py",
line 296, in testOverrideDealloc
     self.assertEquals(len(aList), 2)
AssertionError: 0 != 2

2) When I run python (either the one I built, from
/usr/local/bin/python2.4, or the one installed by the universal binary
installer at
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/python2.4), and
"import appscript", for example, I get this error:

"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/appscript/__init__.py",
line 16, in ?
     from specifier import app, CommandError
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/appscript/specifier.py",
line 9, in ?
     import aem
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/aem/__init__.py", line
25, in ?
     from send import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/aem/send/__init__.py",
line 90, in ?
     raise RuntimeError, "Can't send Apple events: no access to Window
Manager. (aem-based scripts must be run within a GUI process; e.g. use
'pythonw', not 'python', if running script in shell)"
RuntimeError: Can't send Apple events: no access to Window Manager.
(aem-based scripts must be run within a GUI process; e.g. use 'pythonw',
not 'python', if running script in shell)
"""

If I run /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/pythonw2.4, I
get the same error.

What could make this not work properly?

Mike