[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonw 2.3.5 error on OSX 10.3.9

Michael Glassford glassfordm at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:55:04 CEST 2006

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Michael Glassford wrote:
>> When I try to run /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.3, I get the error:
>>
>> """
>> /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.3: line 2:
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
>> No such file or directory
>> /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.3: line 2: exec:
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
>> cannot execute: No such file or directory
>> """
>>
>> If I check, there is in fact a
>> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3" directory, but it
>> contains no "Resources" subdirectory.
>>
>> I've tried reinstalling Python 2.3.5, but nothing changed. In other
>> respects, Python 2.3.5 is correctly installed, because
>> /usr/local/bin/python2.3 runs correctly and reports that it is, in fact
>> version 2.3.5.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Mike

> I'm confused.
>
> Python 2.3.5 is the version of Python that ships with OS X 10.4, and
> it's installed in /usr/bin.

This isn't OS X 10.4, it's 10.3.9.

> It should not be removed because various
> system components depend on it. If you've somehow removed that, you may
> want to reinstall the OS.

I haven't removed anything. Mac OSX 10.3 ships with Python 2.3,  and
that's still there and runs just fine. I'm trying to install an updated
version.

> I'm not aware of a widely-distributed version of Python 2.3.5 that
> installs in /usr/local/bin.

If not in /usr/local/bin, where should I look for it on OSX 10.3.9?

 > The most recent versions in widespread
> distribution are 2.4.1 and 2.4.3, just released as a "universal binary"
> build.  Look at http://macpython.org/packages for download links.

I'm having other problems with 2.4.3 that I will ask about and have
asked about in other messages. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to
get 2.3 updated to 2.3.5--to use it until I can get 2.4.3 working. There
are other reasons as well.

> So where did your 2.3.5 build come from? Did you build it yourself? If
> so, it should be pretty easy to rebuild.

I'm not sure where the version of 2.3.5 build that was on the machine
came from. The one I'm trying to install is from the source I downloaded
from python.org.