[Pythonmac-SIG] build matplotlib on 10.3.9 without a bus error?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jul 7 01:39:30 CEST 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:00 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Russell E Owen wrote:
>
>> If/when a fat Aqua Tcl/Tk comes out that works with my app, I can try
>> to make it all fat. But that could be awhile. I suspect the current
>> ActiveState Tcl/Tk (8.4.13) is not fat, and even if it were -- Aqua
>> Tcl/Tk 8.4.13 and 8.4.12 both have bugs (losing the mouse position)
>> that are killers for my app (but 8.4.11 works fine).
>>
>> I've been assuming that either all components need to be fat or else
>> all need to be PPC-only to be safe on Intel. Perhaps that's too
>> paranoid?
>>
>> -- Russell
>>

> FYI, I have a "fat" build of Tk Aqua 8.4.12 here:
>
> http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/index.html
>
> As far as I know, this is the only "universal" package in
> distribution.
> ActiveState ships separate builds for PPC and Intel (some of the
> extension packages are hard to build universally), and Daniel Steffen
> has not updated his distribution for nearly a year.
>
> Let me know how it works with py2app. I've had problems--py2app gags
> when trying to graph the PPC and i386 Mach-o dependencies, even
> with the
> simple "hello-tk" sample. It seems to problems with libtclstub8.4.a
> and
> returns an error message like this:
>
>  raise ValueError, "got unrecognized magic of %08x" % (header.magic,
> MH_MAGIC, MH_CIGAM)
> TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting
>
> I want to use Tkinter for a Python application I'm starting on because
> it's more familiar to me, but if py2app can't handle it, then I will
> probably use wxPython.

It really shouldn't be looking at .a files, that's a bug. There's at
least a few other bugs in the universal branch of py2app, it's really
not ready yet. It does seem to work for some apps, which is why I cut
a release.

I didn't write any of that code and I haven't audited it, so there
isn't much I can do beyond accepting patches that fix these things
until I find the time to go through it all (don't hold your breath).