[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal binary build of py2app application won't run on 10.3.9

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jul 1 18:52:22 CEST 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 11:33 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing that this may not be the ONLY lib that has this
>> problem --
>> it's just the the one that's been discovered. Also, it seems possible
>> that a user might have a similar problem with a lib that isn't
>> Apple's.
>>

> Here's a list of Panther-Tiger incompatibilities I came up with when
> working out Panther-compatible Tiger builds (not quite exhaustive,
> mainly stuff that directly affected what I was doing):

[... lis snipped ...]

The more I work on supporting 10.3.9 and 10.4 the more I believe that
the binary installer shouldn't link to system versions of libraries
that aren't in a part of the OS where Apple is serious about
versioning/backward-compatiblity.

That is the easiest way  to achieve compatibility with older OS
releases without extensive testing.

BTW. I don't know what I'll do once 10.5 is out, I might stop working
on 10.3.9 support.

Ronald