[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal binary build of py2app application won't run on 10.3.9

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jul 1 18:36:12 CEST 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 9:04 PM, Michael Glassford wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> On 28-jun-2006, at 20:56, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>

>>> It's not really trivial, but it's the only option you have unless
>>> someone else does it first. It sounds like Ronald will probably
>>> create another 2.4.3 installer in the future that fixes this and a
>>> few other issues, but I don't know when he'll get around to it (if
>>> ever, I don't speak for his free time).
>>
>> I'm doing this in my free time, I'm hoping to do a new release before
>> 2.4.4 gets out but don't promise anything.
>>
>>> In your situation, I would just give up on 10.3 users until the
>>> issue
>>> with Python is resolved (which is either going to happen when 2.5
>>> comes out, or when the 2.4.3 installer gets updated).
>>
>> And if you want support for 10.3 actually testing the 2.5 installer
>> would be nice. I do some testing on 10.3, but as all my systems run
>> 10.4 and I don't have a business-need for supporting 10.3 it doesn't
>> get a much attention as it should.
>>
>> To do that you'll have to build it from source on a 10.4.x system
>> with xcode 2.3 and the 10.4u SDK installed. Just run Mac/BuildScript/
>> build-installer.py to create a dmg containing the installer.
>
> It's not entirely clear if the "2.5 installer" you mention above means
> PyObjC or Python. If the former, I tried it (using the Python 2.5
> installer here:
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/python-2.5b1-
> macosx2006-06-20.dmg)
> and it isn't working. I built it on an Intel Mac Mini, and when I
> run it
> on 10.3.9 I see this:

I should have been clearer. The binary installer at python.org won't
work on 10.3 (or rather there are issues and you shouldn't use it on
10.3). I have fixed a number of those issues in the trunk, if you
rebuild the installer using a current checkout of the python trunk
you should end up with something that does work properly on 10.3.

Ronald