[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python and eggs...

Charlie Moad cwmoad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 03:50:23 CET 2006

> > Yes, the egg itself gets hosted on Cheese Shop, as well as the source
> > download (hence the "upload").
> >
> > The packages you often use are not yet using setuptools,
>
> Do you know of a package I can find on cheeseshop that is using
> setuptools? I'd like to get a sense of what features that offers.
>
> > so it's no
> > surprise that they don't take advantage of these new features that
> > aren't in distutils.
>
> Well, matplotlib has an egg on the sourceforge download site, and NumPy
> is putting its include files in a odd place specifically to accommodate
> ssetuptools, and neither of those have eggs on cheeseshop. I guess
> setuptools really hasn't caught on yet. but it does seem to be gaining a
> lot of momentum, so I'm hopeful.

I just thought I would mention that you don't see the mpl eggs on
cheeseshop for a reason.  The download url is set to mpl's sf files
page.  Setuptools is smart enough to look at cheeseshop and see the
download url and then find the correct egg from there, hence
'easy_install matplotlib' works.  Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

- Charlie