[Pythonmac-SIG] final? try at new MacPython download page

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Feb 14 00:33:53 CET 2006

I've updated my strawman page at
http://bill.janssen.org/mac/new-macpython-page.html.

This is intended to replace the page currently at
http://www.python.org/download/download_mac.html.

I think this is about as good as we're going to get, for the moment.
It points out to experienced Mac developers that you can call the
various Cocoa libraries, manipulate Apple Events, and package up Mac
apps with Python.  It explains what installers to install, and in
which order (we'll have to change it when the universal build comes
out -- I'll volunteer to do that).  For the merely curious, it shows
how to start a Terminal window and run a python interpreter.  It
points out IDLE and the IDLE.app application.

I don't feel the need to do too much for the Python newbie on this
page.  They are, after all, on the python.org site, and there are
plenty of links for Python newbies on that site.  I don't think the
Mac brings anything particularly special to that.

If no one objects too much, I'll figure out how to get it uploaded to
the python.org site.

Bill