[Pythonmac-SIG] Build script for Universal Python

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Mon Feb 13 20:14:53 CET 2006

Hi Ronald,

On Feb 13, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 13-feb-2006, at 19:17, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> I just read the source for pydoc, we could install the HTML docs
>>> in Python.framework/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation.
>>> Idlelib would need a patch to support this location. There's
>>> already specific configuration for windows and linux in there (in
>>> idlelib.EditorWindow)
>>
>> That sounds fine, we're going to be making a couple IDLE hacks
>> anyway.
>
> Are we? We have a lot of patches anyway, adding another patch to
> teach idlelib about the document locations that pydoc recognizes
> won't be the most controversial one in our set of patches.
>

>>> I just remembered something else that needs to be done some time:
>>> create better icons, it's time to leave the 10 ton weight behind
>>> (or at the very least the current rendition of it). I won't do
>>> this though, given my skills in that deparment the icons would
>>> get worse instead of better.
>>
>> That's a good idea, but last I tried to get one of my friends to
>> do something about that it turned out to be "too realistic".  I'm
>> not going to bother wasting anyone else's time.
>
> I remember that. Is that icon still available? That icon was a lot
> better than what we have now, if anyone complains about the realism
> they can come up with another icon :-).

There are other potential designs for icons; for example, have you
seen the snake icon for the wxPython demo (once it's loaded, it
changes from the weight icon to the snake)? (Sorry, yes, I know who
I'm asking. ;-) I also pointed out some other alternatives on some
thread on this list in Nov. 2003, thread "MacPython logo redux". But
then others complained, surprise, that it's too cartoony. :-) The
problem is not that there's no other icons, it's just that we're not
going to make everyone happy.

The Apple/snake icon, from an image perspective (and that's all it
is...), has several problems with it. First, real snakes are scary
and some people don't like looking at scary things. I had to put
stickers over the cover of my O'Reilly Python library reference book
because the snake on there creeps my wife out. I think I'll have a
harder time now getting her to use Python... I won't even get into
the biblical connotations, etc. of a mean-looking snake wrapped
around an apple, but I think being non-offensive is, probably, a good
idea if we're still talking about making Python appeal to others. As
has been stated before in this discussion, we probably won't offend
"too many people" with these things, but why do we have to offend
anyone at all? A non-offensive 12-ton weight is at least better than
a somewhat offensive snake.

A more cartoonish/abstract design like the wxPython one won't spook
anyone or have scary connotations, and while some people may not like
it, it's closer to the Windows Python icon and heck, icons like
Adium's are actually some of my favorites. There's also the issue
that at small sizes, the snake becomes unrecognizable anyways making
the icon look like an Apple with a yellow something at the bottom.
But of course, this was all dregged up and discussed before.

I really wish Python itself would get a standard icon across
platforms, but that's another story. (The web site redesign seems
totally stalled....)

I'll get back to your other emails later, but really first I need to
update the FAQ, and I intended to do it this weekend but got caught
up in some expected, and some unexpected, business. ;-)

Thanks,

Kevin