[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Feb 12 22:37:23 CET 2006

On 12-feb-2006, at 20:50, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>
>> I understand that there is a version of IDLE.app already in the 2.4.1
>> installer.
>
> Yes.  The given setup.py only creates an IDLE.app for the vendor
> Python 2.3 that ships with OS X.  It's just a follow-up to an
> earlier conversation in the thread, it's not a recommendation for
> something we should be distributing.

I had a gigantic backlog thanks to this thread :-). The setup script
was written to make a point: it is very easy to create a tiny
application bundle that will give you a clickable IDLE icon that will
use the python that ships with OS X.  I wrote this after someone
suggested that this could be accomplished using an applescript applet.

I lost track in the discussion about whether the pythonmac.org site
should mention the system python at all, but if it should this
application could be used to give users a simple GUI environment.
Then point them to the full MacPython distribution if they like what
they see :-)

Ronald