[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 59

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Sun Feb 12 07:35:57 CET 2006

On 2/11/06 9:29 PM, "Bob Ippolito" <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> Well, COM isn't really used anywhere but Win32, and Apple Events are basically
> Apple's version of out-of-process COM.  Yes, it's crappy as a language, and
> it's also very old.  However, switching to COM wouldn't do a damn thing for
> anyone.  COM sucks too -- it's actually worse technically.
>
> Apple Events are actually a lot more like SOAP than COM, but how they should
> switch to something HTTP based isn't all that clear yet.  There's nothing
> obvious that's 10x better.  Obviously it'll tie in with Bonjour, but SOAP
> isn't exactly a winner.  We'll just have to see what happens.

The lead AppleScript engineer has had a totally revamped, rational, OO,
"AppleScript 2" (or "AppleScript X" depending on whom you talk to), on the
cards for a few years now. He has been prevented from proceeding with it for
the time being. None of the AppleScript team will divulge whether this will
ever see the light of day - they may not know.

--
Paul Berkowitz