[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Feb 11 23:50:56 CET 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 11-feb-2006, at 1:40, Charles Hartman wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2006, at 5:31 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>>
>>> And how about bundling tcltkaqua into it, as well?
>>
>> Because some of us, at least, have no interest in tcl. I'm not
>> clear whether its presence interferes with wx (thing #421 that I'm
>> not clear about), but it doesn't help; why should I want it on my
>> system?
>
> Because _tkinter, and hence IDLE use it? IDLE seems to be the only
> ready-to-use acceptable Python IDE right now.

I'm not very happy about that (and I don't know that anyone else is,
either; Bob I. has described some of the problems with IDLE), but if
it's the way it is it's the way it is. But here I am, a rank
beginner, I look at the descriptions of wxPython and its rivals and
decide I like wx -- can I install that, and begin building apps with
it, from IDLE?

We all seem to recognize the need for flexibility in preferences
about IDEs (since there's no clear, free, Mac-native choice). But GUI
libraries may be different. I feel it's important not to foreclose
the wx possibility, and I'm still not clear about what that entails,
though a recent post by Bob (which I can't find at the moment)
partially addressed this.

Charles

> Not that I want to bundle Tcl/Tk,

--especially given the download/install overhead, right?