[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 11 21:53:48 CET 2006

On 10-feb-2006, at 2:56, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> We also get to ignore the issues
>>> of which version of Mac OS X they are using because 10.3 and 10.4
>>> will behave the same.
>>
>> Um, aren't there issues with not being able to use the universal
>> version
>> with less than 10.3.9, and not being able to build extensions on
>> 10.3 at
>> all with the universal version?
>
> The universal version is indeed not compatible with 10.3.0-10.3.8,
> but upgrading to 10.3.9 is free.  I think it's safe at this point to
> say 10.3.9 is absolutely required to use the supported version of
> Python.

Unless someone volunteers to do the required work to support earlier
versions of the OS. I don't mind requireing at least 10.3.9.

> The extension thing we can hack around by installing two copies of
> the Makefile and having distutils pick a PPC-only Makefile if it
> detects 10.3.

I was thinking more along the line of hacking distutils to detect that
it is running on 10.3 and then removing 10.4+ specific flags (all -arch
flags and the -isysroot thingy) from CFLAGS.

Ronald