[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Feb 10 23:58:51 CET 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

>>> I agree.  If the 2.4.x installer were bundled with TigerPython24Fix
>>> and some quick-start IDLE app into a single installer, that would be
>>> great, and an improvement over the current situation.  (And could it
>>> please *not* have the word "fix" in the title?)
>>
>> It *is* a fix, which is no longer necessary with the current branch
>> (or if built on 2.4).
>
> Does that mean that if I download the 2.4.x upgrade installer and run
> it on my 10.4.4 machine, I do not need to run the TigerPython24Fix?
>
> Why do I need to run it separately anyway? Why isn't just part of the
> regular upgrade installer, run if necessary?

I'm tired of saying this.  ONE last time.

TigerPython24Fix fixes a bug in the current release (it's
questionable as to if it's a bug in 10.4, or the build of 2.4, but
it's a bug nonetheless).  Discussing this is completely irrelevant
because it's an already solved issue.  Please forget it exists - I'm
tired of discussing it.

> And for that matter, why not include TigerPython23Compat as part of
> the MacPython installer?

TigerPython23Compat allows OS X 10.4's installation Python 2.3 to use
packages built with OS X 10.3.  Not very relevant to a Python 2.4.

> And how about bundling tcltkaqua into it, as well?

Tcl/Tk Aqua ships with OS X 10.4 and it's a relatively large
dependency to just include for the sake of OS X 10.3 users.

>> Also, the installer has always had IDLE.app.
>
> I'm glad to hear that about IDLE.app.  But I'm depressed again when I
> read pages like
> http://rlai.cs.ualberta.ca/RLAI/RLsoftware/PythonLinks.html#IDLE.  My
> impression from reading that is that MacPython IDLE.app is extensively
> broken.

Those are reasons not to use IDLE with the built-in Python 2.3.
Those issues are all trivial to fix for any build that we produce.